Duke Finally Called

After waiting all day, and barely getting any sleep the night before, Duke finally called around 7:15pm tonight.  Talking about last minute.  Dr. Berg, the liver specialist, was the one who called.

It’s hard to say what they’re really thinking, but Dr. Berg wants Anya to get another liver biopsy as soon as possible.  Contrary to what our transplant coordinator told us last week, he said that the CT scan of her liver two weeks ago wasn’t as bad as they initially thought and it’s possible that Anya may not need the liver transplant.  He said that there were 3 good test results on the liver and 1 bad one, but it may just be a result of CF related liver disease…whatever that means.  (Is CF related liver disease different than regular cirrhosis of the liver???)

I’m not quite sure what to think about this.  I have so many questions.  Not having to transplant the liver really changes everything (for the better), so the fact that it’s back on the table now is really good news, but what changed in two weeks?  And why the need for another liver biopsy when one was already performed about 5 weeks ago?  I guess they want to see if there is any improvement with the biopsy, but what if there is no improvement, then are we back to square one?  If there is improvement, then will it be definitive enough to say that a liver transplant is not needed?

It’s pretty frustrating waiting for the unknown, but in the end, I’m sure that the Duke team is just trying to explore all options possible…leave no leaf unturned.  I really do trust that they are the best at what they do, and I also trust that they’ll do whatever they think is best for Anya based on all of this data that they’re gathering.  That’s really all that we can hope for.

Anyways, the plan now is to get a liver biopsy at Fairfax hospital asap, then wait for Dr. Berg and crew to analyze the results.  Thankfully, Dr. Berg is going to make the call to Fairfax hospital to setup the liver biopsy, which should help with the waiting time.  He said that we should hear something within a week after performing the liver biopsy.

Again, we find ourselves twiddling our thumbs; unsure of what lies ahead.  Overall though, I would say that today’s news was welcome news.  I still have a lot of questions, but hopefully they’ll be answered with this upcoming liver biopsy… to be continued…

2 thoughts on “Duke Finally Called

  1. Kate Goodrich says:

    Boo for another round of tests, BUT if it rules out a liver transplant….YAY! Hope it can all get lined up quickly!

  2. Heather says:

    It seems that this shows that the team of doctors want to make the very best decisions for Anya. I can’t imagine waiting, but the fact they are double checking seems positive.

Leave a Reply to Kate Goodrich Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *