Anya’s had this lingering cough for the past few months; she described it to me as if it were something stuck in her lungs that she just couldn’t get out. Last Tuesday/Wednesday, it worsened to the point where she was wheezing in her sleep. I could hear it. It definitely wasn’t normal. It was like a gurgling sound. Both of us barely slept Monday and Tuesday nights.
On Wednesday morning, Anya decided that it was probably time to make a trip to the hospital to get a “tune up”, as she called it. She called the transplant center, told them that she was coming in and to get a room ready for her.
Since I’ve known Anya, I think this is the fourth time, post-transplant (June 2008) that she’s been hospitalized with a lung infection. The doctors say that infection and rejection are the two things that are most important when dealing with a transplant patient. I’m glad that she decided to make the trip to the hospital because the doctor said that the amount of mucus in her lungs was the worst that she’s ever seen, in anyone.
The docs were able to schedule an emergency bronchoscopy on Thursday morning…roughly 24 hours after arriving to the hospital. It normally takes 2-3 weeks to schedule one of these things, and the fact that they were able to do it the day before a major holiday…we can’t thank the doctors at inova fairfax enough.
We’re still at the hospital today. Anya’s feeling much better, as expected. She doesn’t have as much of that gunk in her lungs as she did last week. They’ve been giving her a heavy dose of antibiotics (Meropenem, Zyvox, Valcyte, and now, Cipro & Maxipime). The idea is to use antibiotics to kill any and all bacterial & fungal infections in her lungs. The bacterial infections usually show up in the bronchoscopy results 24-48 hours after the procedure. They told us that no bacterial infections are present yet, which is a good thing. The fungal infection results normally takes about 7 days to about 3 weeks, so we’re still waiting on the results of that. Regardless of what’s growing out, they normally start the antibiotics immediately after the patient gets admitted to the hospital. Then, they’ll change the drugs based on the type of fungal infections that’s growing. So, that’s kinda what we’re waiting for now.
It’s been five days since Anya got admitted. All of Anya’s parents are in town. They’ve been tremendous support for her, and great help to us with taking care of random things while Anya’s been in the hospital. Thanks to them for that.
Even though we were here for the July 4th holiday, we were lucky enough to see the fireworks from our “hotel” room:
Anya’s step-dad, Roger, joked that he’s already booked the same room for next year. Umm…I was thinking maybe a hotel without the name “hospital” in it.